Labs that want to prove value in the healthcare marketplace today need to supplement their LIS with a healthcare relationship management solution that can pick up the slack when a LIS falls short. Here at hc1.com, we came up with the top 8 reasons why your lab’s LIS is just not enough:
1. Laboratory Information Systems don’t provide the necessary reports.
A LIS does provide limited data reports – in a stagnant PDF format. This doesn’t reveal critical information, such as real-time volume utilization or the time it takes to receive a sample.
2. Manually generating reports & mining data from a LIS or asking the IT department is time consuming and inconvenient.
Sending in separate IT requests every time your team needs an updated LIS report is a waste of your team’s critical time. Having access to real-time alerts via a secure, HIPAA-compliant, cloud-based platform means that your team can run reports and access your LIS data at any time, from any computer, phone, or tablet.
3. Directors and managers need to use their valuable time focusing on the most critical issues, not gathering data.
When critical issues occur, lab managers need to be able to dedicate 100% of their time to solving the problem – not hunting for the source. When key players are held accountable and everyone is in the loop, lab managers can get right to the root cause of issues and resolve them as fast as possible.
4. Standard LIS’s only provide stagnant reports that are in the rearview – not real time analytics.
A stagnant PDF report pulled from a LIS may show what happened three days ago, but what about right now? In critical healthcare environments when TaT is a vital signifier of success, high-performance laboratories must be able to manage by exception in real-time.
5. Difficultly providing access to large user groups leaves more room for errors and limits internal visibility.
Without a scalable, roles-based solution, there will be holes that a LIS just cannot fill. Implementing a healthcare relationship management solution on top of your LIS gives your entire organization access to critical information stored in your LIS – at any time.
6. Can’t take action on the information in a LIS, which is just used for basic reporting and trending at a higher level, making it impractical for daily use.
A key component to any lab is the ability to take action. When an issue arises with TaT, for example, a manager can assign a task to the person responsible to ensure resolution.
7. The reliance on a singular LIS admin to run reports on stagnant data is an unnecessary expense.
The standard reports available in hc1.com eliminate the need to pay your LIS admin to create reports. Reports gathered from an LIS would be antiquated anyways, because they are not real-time, like those gathered from a healthcare relationship management solution.
8. No drill-down capabilities in generic LIS’s means limited ability to investigate the specifics around exceptions and outliers.
When your team experiences exceptions and outliers, a healthcare relationship management solution organizes the data in your LIS to help your team discover the root cause of issues as they arise.
To learn how your lab can unlock the power of the data that resides in your LIS, email firstname.lastname@example.org today!